Freebies on the Front Range may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post.
Do you also shake your head when reading about this or that completely FREE craft idea because, unless your supplies are totally FREE, most crafts cost at least a little bit of money to concoct? I do! Usually my fellow crafters mean well but don’t take into consideration that I might need to purchase 24 small boxes, envelopes, paints, paper, etc. So, some crafts are only truly FREE if you can round up some FREE supplies or have your own personal crafting stash paid for on another date which gives you the illusion of the craft being FREE.
That said, there are a few ways to manifest creative supplies totally FREE or on the cheap. Try scouring your local Craigslist or other preferred online classified resource – inevitably someone has decided to cleanse their space and is looking to let go of some things. In our home, we have collected a whole art area full of FREE supplies including storage, art table, and chairs thanks to Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Thrift stores also may have supplies in stock and places devoted to selling used craft supplies are also popping up. You may have to be a bit flexible regarding selection, but making something from random items can be a fun creative challenge.
Easy Advent Calendar Made of Envelopes
This frugal Advent Calendar made of not much more than envelopes has been ours at home for the last few years. I receive countless compliments on it and my five year old is excited every time we pull it out. This calendar works equally well for children and adults and is so frugal you can easily make multiple calendars if you have more than one recipient. I find it fits well into our minimalist and somewhat Scandinavian style decor.
AND this calendar is so easy to improvise!
You can use:
1. Any size envelopes or small boxes.
2. Any color marker or paint.
3. Any kind of string, ribbon, or twine.
4. Any size clothespin – or none at all if you opt not to hang it.
5. Any kind of insert including handwritten, personalized messages, quotes, and jokes, or small objects like sweets, coins, or stickers.
Tip: To use it over multiple years, avoid sticking the envelopes closed with glue. Either tuck the flap into the envelope or use the clothespin to do the trick of keeping them closed.
Advent Calendar Created From Christmas Clearance Items
This year I’ve created a simple countdown out of mini-boxes, tissue paper, and stickers purchased last year at Target’s 90% off Christmas clearance. Would you believe this calendar cost me all of 30 cents to create? Yep.
The $1.00 Chocolate Advent Calendar
Trader Joe’s, King Soopers, Safeway, etc. | Most grocery stores will carry simple chocolate filled Advent Calendars for $1.00. The quality of the chocolate is debatable but if you are looking for frugal with minimal effort, this is the ticket. You’ll find pricier versions with better chocolate at Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, and your local chocolaterie.
25 Awesome Themed Advent Calendars Ideas
If you are looking for an Advent Calendar for someone special but are shorter on time, there are many store bought calendars on the market both for kiddos and bigger kiddos alike. If you relish the holiday season and the opportunity to extend the joy of giving a little bit, these offer some fantastic options (remember, FREE in-store pickup may be available at some retailers!).
- Bonne Maman Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Crayola Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Disney Tsum Tsum Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart |
- Eric Carle Dream Snow Pop-Up Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart |
- Fisher-Price Little People Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Harry Potter Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Hatchimals Colleggtibles Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart |
- Hot Wheels Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Kurt Adler Wooden Nativity Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- LEGO City Advent Calendar 2018 | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart | Buy at LEGO |
- LEGO Friends Advent Calendar 2018 | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart | Buy at LEGO
- LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart | Buy at LEGO |
- Lindt Chocolate Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Man’s Stuff Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Melissa & Doug Countdown to Christmas Wooden Religious Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart | Buy at Melissa & Doug |
- Morris and Co Pure Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Palais des Thés Countdown to Christmas Tea Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Nordstrom |
- Paw Patrol Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Walmart |
- Peppa Pig Santa’s Workshop Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Personalized Snowman and Penguin Advent Calendar | Buy at Things Remembered |
- Play-Doh Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Ravensburger World of Creativity Advent Calendar Game | Buy on Amazon | Buy at Target |
- Schleich Horse Club Advent Calendar | Buy on Amazon |
- Shutterfly Personalized Advent Calendar | Create at Shutterfly.com |
- Women’s 12 Days of Socks Calendar DC Comics | Buy on Amazon |